Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Pin IT!

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Advocate.

BRRRRRRR>>>> it is chilly! I have been enjoying my day by doing absolutely nothing. Mostly, my mind needs a break. I wanted to share a super fun activity that I did with my first graders this week. I put together 8 centers of different objects I had around the classroom (links, straws, crayons, etc.). My students had to count the objects and then record the number on the recording sheet. I had students break the number up into tens and ones to practice place value skills.



 I've been struggling with the concept of advocating for students all week. Really, it's not even a concept. It shouldn't be. It should come naturally...right? I think we get so caught up in lesson planning, tracking data and other drama that we forget to advocate for our students. For some of those kids, school is the safest place for them. It's the only place where they feel cared for. Someone needs to stand up for them and make sure they get what they deserve: a positive learning environment, a caring and nurturing teacher and tools they need to succeed. Next week, my goal is to remember why I became a teacher and support my students needs... Advocate for my students.

OKKKKKKK... On to other things... Andy mentioned that he would like for me to make Quesadilla burgers... like the Deliciously DELICIOUS burgers from Applebees?!? So.. I took on the challenge and I made them!
 
Ingredients:
1 pound hamburger, unthawed
red pepper flakes
cumin seeds
garlic salt
Lawry's seasoned salt
parsley flakes
sriracha sauce
four flour tortillas
2 tomatoes 
1 white onion
olive oil
1 avocado
1/4 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 

First thing you do: mix hamburger with all spices and 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce. I didn't measure out the spices, I shook each of them a few times. (I know...lots of help, right?!) After you mix the hamburger and spices, make four patties and cook them how you desire. Grill or cook them on top of the stove, that's what I did. While those are cooking, dice up the tomatoes and onion, put it all in a bowl and add a little olive oil, garlic salt and parsley flakes. Set that aside. In a separate bowl, mash up the avocado and stir in the sour cream.  Set that aside. When the burgers are done, put a little olive oil in a different pan and put in the tortilla. Spread some shredded cheese on the tortilla. When the cheese melts, place a burger on one side of the tortilla and then flip the other side of the tortilla over on the burger. Hold it in place with a spoon.  When the cheese is melted against the burger, take it all of the stove and put it on a plate. Spread the avocado mix on top of the burger and then put a few spoonfuls of the tomato mix on top. ENJOY! This was by far the best flavored burger that I have ever made!

Have a great SATURDAY night!
~Stephanie


No comments:

Post a Comment