Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Pin IT!

Monday, February 3, 2014

Antenna Mishaps...

Good evening bloggers! 



I hope you all had a FAB-U-LOUS weekend and a great Monday back to work! My little Sophia is crawling! We are super excited:) Funny story....Andy and I decided to get rid of our dish and get cable through our local utility company and on Sunday night..right before the super bowl..the antenna didn't pick up channel 44...yes, we had large amounts of buffalo chicken dip, meatballs, soup, salsa and gauc. w/ chips but we didn't have football! Andy went out and tried to fix the antenna and finally at 5:35, FOX came back on. Not like we missed anything... YIKES. 



Anyway! I wanted to share my new favorite math word: subitizing! AHHH!! Subitizing is the way of instantly counting or immediately knowing the cardinal number of a set without going through the ordinal numbers counting each item's position. There are two types of subitizing.. perceptual is recognizing a number pattern without using any math strategies and conceptual subitizing is the recognition of number patterns as composite of parts and whole. Conceptual subitizing can be spatial, temporal, kinesthetic and rhythmic. I gave my kindergarten kiddos a subitizing assessment to see if they were perceptual or conceptual subitizers. With the results I am able to change how I teach them and each day I do a little subitizing mini lesson at the end of the class. Conceptual subitizers are able to use those strategies to do further math such as add and subtract. I'm a nerd.. but I love this!



OK...... so on to my recipe for the week: ham and corn chowder:) YUMMMMMY!
Ingredients: 
2 potatoes, chopped
can of corn
one medium white onion, chopped
8 slices bacon
package of diced ham
3 cups milk
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules 
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese 

In a large pot cook bacon and then take out and set aside for later. In the same pot, saute the onion and then add the flour. After that, add the milk, water and chicken bouillon granules. Let that come to a boil and then add the potatoes, corn and ham. Turn temp. down and cook uncovered for 20 minutes. At the end stir in the cheese and serve with bacon on top. *I mixed my bacon in with the soup. It.was.delicious. I made for the super bowl and it was YUMMY.



SO for Christmas my parents got Andy and I an vintage green hutch with red handles. I absolutely love it! I put all of my baking supplies, potatoes, onions and spices in the hutch and here are the pics!
 



One last thing: My second grade title kiddos were working on adding and subtracting money and so I made a little 'grocery store'! (This lesson is available on my TpT store) I made three different 'grocery lists' (differentiated for low, medium and high skill levels). I assigned the lists to the kiddos and then they looked up the items on a separate poster board. Next to the items was the price and the students had to add and subtract the items from the dollar amount they started with. My kiddos loved this engaging activity! 


HAVE a great week!!!!!!!
Thank you for reading my blog:)
~Stephanie


1 comment: